Stem cell Treatment of Spinal Injuries (SCI)
Spinal cord Injury is a severe damage to the human spinal cord into three different segments of the neural tissue leading to the severe form of motor and sensory loss. The kind of damage can be differentiated as
Death of neurons within the spinal cord.
Disruption of neuronal pathways due to damaged cells.
Destruction of the protective myelin sheath carrying nerve signals from brain to different organs of the body.
In most of the reported cases of SCI, damage can be due to trauma or disease.
How prevalent is SCI?
Since SCI is associated with loss of mobility, paralysis and mortality due to other opportunistic infections, it is known as the most critical and disastrous medical condition. As per the reported cases every year around 2, 50,000 to 5, 00,000 people are suffering from the spinal cord injury. On an average, middle aged and young adult males are more susceptible to SCI mainly due to avoidable causes such as road accidents, injury, falls or violence.
Almost about the 90% of people in the age group of 20-45 have been reported to face other complications such as limited employment, decreased quality of life, and severe depression.
In general a spinal cord injury is resultant due to the severe damage to different parts of the spinal cord such as vertebral column, ligaments or the spinal disks. This has been worldwide reported to be originated from sudden agony to the spinal cord such as fracturing, crushing or dislocating one or more vertebrae. Additional damage has as well been reported due to excessive bleeding, swelling, inflammation as well as other opportunistic infections.
How can stem cell help?
- Presently the treatments of the spinal cord injury are very limited and the management of the injury is symptomatic and varies from case to case.
The stem cell based treatment is based on the natural way the tissues and organs are repaired by the body. The stem cells can multiply and also differentiate in to nerve cell ligaments and others types of cells.
- The stem cell treatment involves extraction of stem cells from the bone marrow / Adipose tissue of the patient and re-implantation within the injured areas.
- To treat the patient without drugs and at the same time repair and rejuvenate t the injured nerves, ligaments, cartilage and bone.
The treatment is aimed at improving the bodily functions and to help improve the quality of life for the patient.
- Return of sensation and control of bladder and bowl movement.
- Simple but very effective.
- Nature’s own way repairing broken cells and tissues.
- Low or no risk of tumours or other side effects.
- Increase the strength of the vertebral column